What is involved in Security Assessment and Testing
Find out what the related areas are that Security Assessment and Testing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Security Assessment and Testing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Security Assessment and Testing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Security Assessment and Testing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Security Assessment and Testing related domains to cover and 145 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Security Assessment and Testing, Security testing, Access control, Antivirus software, Application security, Computer access control, Computer crime, Computer security, Computer virus, Computer worm, Data-centric security, Denial of service, False positives and false negatives, Information security, Information system, Internet security, Intrusion detection system, Intrusion prevention system, Logic bomb, Mobile secure gateway, Mobile security, Multi-factor authentication, National Information Assurance Glossary, Network security, Penetration test, Screen scrape, Secure coding, Security-focused operating system, Security by design, Trojan horse, Vulnerability assessment:
Security Assessment and Testing Critical Criteria:
Face Security Assessment and Testing quality and separate what are the business goals Security Assessment and Testing is aiming to achieve.
– What is the source of the strategies for Security Assessment and Testing strengthening and reform?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Security Assessment and Testing requirements in detail?
– Why are Security Assessment and Testing skills important?
Security testing Critical Criteria:
Chart Security testing tasks and know what your objective is.
– IDS/IPS traffic pattern analysis can often detect or block attacks such as a denial-of-service attack or a network scan. However, in some cases this is legitimate traffic (such as using cloud infrastructure for load testing or security testing). Does the cloud provider have a documented exception process for allowing legitimate traffic that the IDS/IPS flags as an attack pattern?
– Do those selected for the Security Assessment and Testing team have a good general understanding of what Security Assessment and Testing is all about?
– What threat is Security Assessment and Testing addressing?
– What is our Security Assessment and Testing Strategy?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Think about Access control failures and handle a jump-start course to Access control.
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Security Assessment and Testing. How do we gain traction?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– If data need to be secured through access controls (e.g. password-protected network space), how will they be applied?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Is the Security Assessment and Testing organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Security Assessment and Testing moving forward?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– What is the direction of flow for which access control is required?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– What is our role based access control?
– Who determines access controls?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Antivirus software tactics and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Antivirus software services.
– What are the business goals Security Assessment and Testing is aiming to achieve?
– Are there Security Assessment and Testing Models?
– Is Security Assessment and Testing Required?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Jump start Application security projects and figure out ways to motivate other Application security users.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Security Assessment and Testing process?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Security Assessment and Testing Management?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Categorize Computer access control tactics and test out new things.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Security Assessment and Testing information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– When a Security Assessment and Testing manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How would one define Security Assessment and Testing leadership?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Rank Computer crime quality and explain and analyze the challenges of Computer crime.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Security Assessment and Testing strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Computer security management and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Computer security projects.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Security Assessment and Testing goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How can we improve Security Assessment and Testing?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Pilot Computer virus issues and find the ideas you already have.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Security Assessment and Testing is underway?
– Think about the functions involved in your Security Assessment and Testing project. what processes flow from these functions?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Computer worm goals and slay a dragon.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Security Assessment and Testing objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Security Assessment and Testing with what users do day-to-day?
– Who needs to know about Security Assessment and Testing ?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Derive from Data-centric security quality and define Data-centric security competency-based leadership.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Security Assessment and Testing in a volatile global economy?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Examine Denial of service engagements and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Denial of service.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– Do Security Assessment and Testing rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– How do we Lead with Security Assessment and Testing in Mind?
False positives and false negatives Critical Criteria:
Survey False positives and false negatives outcomes and assess and formulate effective operational and False positives and false negatives strategies.
– what is the best design framework for Security Assessment and Testing organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Do the Security Assessment and Testing decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Information security goals and develop and take control of the Information security initiative.
– Are information security policies and other relevant security information disseminated to all system users (including vendors, contractors, and business partners)?
– Are Human Resources subject to screening, and do they have terms and conditions of employment defining their information security responsibilities?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (indication of completeness of policies, Ico )?
– Do we have an official information security architecture, based on our Risk Management analysis and information security strategy?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Does your company have a current information security policy that has been approved by executive management?
– Is there an up-to-date information security awareness and training program in place for all system users?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into law?
– Is information security ensured when using mobile computing and tele-working facilities?
– What is true about the trusted computing base in information security?
– What best describes the authorization process in information security?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– How to achieve a satisfied level of information security?
– What is information security?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Apply Information system adoptions and triple focus on important concepts of Information system relationship management.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– How do we maintain Security Assessment and Testings Integrity?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Internet security tactics and transcribe Internet security as tomorrows backbone for success.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Security Assessment and Testing workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Intrusion detection system engagements and acquire concise Intrusion detection system education.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– How important is Security Assessment and Testing to the user organizations mission?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– How will you measure your Security Assessment and Testing effectiveness?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Graph Intrusion prevention system decisions and find out.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– How do we measure improved Security Assessment and Testing service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
– What are internal and external Security Assessment and Testing relations?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Logic bomb adoptions and define Logic bomb competency-based leadership.
– Is Security Assessment and Testing Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What are the usability implications of Security Assessment and Testing actions?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Mobile secure gateway leadership and forecast involvement of future Mobile secure gateway projects in development.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Security Assessment and Testing?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Security Assessment and Testing activities?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Mobile security tactics and pioneer acquisition of Mobile security systems.
– Does Security Assessment and Testing include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Security Assessment and Testing process?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Refer to Multi-factor authentication management and reduce Multi-factor authentication costs.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
National Information Assurance Glossary Critical Criteria:
Recall National Information Assurance Glossary risks and plan concise National Information Assurance Glossary education.
– What are the barriers to increased Security Assessment and Testing production?
– How do we go about Securing Security Assessment and Testing?
– What is Effective Security Assessment and Testing?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Network security leadership and secure Network security creativity.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– Think about the people you identified for your Security Assessment and Testing project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– Who will provide the final approval of Security Assessment and Testing deliverables?
Penetration test Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Penetration test leadership and point out Penetration test tensions in leadership.
– Is a vulnerability scan or penetration test performed on all internet-facing applications and systems before they go into production?
– What are our needs in relation to Security Assessment and Testing skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Do we monitor the Security Assessment and Testing decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Screen scrape adoptions and prioritize challenges of Screen scrape.
– For your Security Assessment and Testing project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Security Assessment and Testing does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Talk about Secure coding planning and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Secure coding.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Security Assessment and Testing? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Security Assessment and Testing that make it risky?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Security Assessment and Testing effort?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Discourse Security-focused operating system results and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Security-focused operating system decisions.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Security Assessment and Testing project?
– To what extent does management recognize Security Assessment and Testing as a tool to increase the results?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Security by design engagements and slay a dragon.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Security Assessment and Testing services/products?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Trojan horse visions and forecast involvement of future Trojan horse projects in development.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Security Assessment and Testing agendas for the next 3 years?
– In a project to restructure Security Assessment and Testing outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Are there recognized Security Assessment and Testing problems?
Vulnerability assessment Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Vulnerability assessment engagements and point out improvements in Vulnerability assessment.
– Does your organization perform vulnerability assessment activities as part of the acquisition cycle for products in each of the following areas: Cybersecurity, SCADA, smart grid, internet connectivity, and website hosting?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Security Assessment and Testing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Security Assessment and Testing experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once the system is put into production (e.g., ongoing risk management after implementation)?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Security Assessment and Testing ?
– Do you have an internal or external company performing your vulnerability assessment?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Security Assessment and Testing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Security Assessment and Testing External links:
Study Flashcards On CISSP – Security Assessment and Testing at Cram.com. Quickly memorize the terms, phrases and much more. Cram.com makes …
Cissp – Security Assessment And Testing – Cram.com
Security testing External links:
Neural fuzzing: applying DNN to software security testing
TxDPS – Private Security Testing/Training
Access control External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Linear Pro Access – Professional Access Control Systems
What is Access Control? – Definition from Techopedia
Antivirus software External links:
Consumer antivirus software providers for Windows
The best antivirus software of 2017 | TechRadar
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Application security External links:
What is application security? – Definition from WhatIs.com
BLM Application Security System
Application Security News, Tutorials & Tools – DZone
Computer access control External links:
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
Smart Card Technology: New Methods for Computer Access Control
Computer crime External links:
What is a Computer Crime? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
“Barney Miller” Computer Crime (TV Episode 1979) – IMDb
Share this Rating. Title: Computer Crime (15 Mar 1979) 7.9 /10. Want to share IMDb’s rating on your own site? Use the HTML below.
Computer security External links:
[PDF]Computer Security Incident Handling Guide
Computer Security | Consumer Information
Best Computer Security | Security Software Companies| Softex
Computer virus External links:
Computer Viruses – AbeBooks
Title: Computer Virus – Internet Speculative Fiction Database
Computer worm External links:
Computer worm Facts for Kids | KidzSearch.com
[PDF]Computer Worms – School of Computing
[PDF]THE COMPUTER WORM – Simson Garfinkel
Denial of service External links:
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
False positives and false negatives External links:
Medical False Positives and False Negatives – …
Information security External links:
Title & Settlement Information Security
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: …
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
Internet security External links:
Internet Security | Home Network Protection | Avast
Internet Security Threat Report 2017 | Symantec
Center for Internet Security – Official Site
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection Systems – CERIAS
[PDF]Section 9. Intrusion Detection Systems
[PDF]Intrusion Detection System Sensor Protection Profile
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Intrusion prevention system
http://Intrusion prevention systems (IPS), also known as intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), are network security appliances that monitor network and/or system activities for malicious activity. The main functions of intrusion prevention systems are to identify malicious activity, log information about this activity, attempt to block/stop it, and report it.
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System …
Logic bomb External links:
Logic bomb – Hacked
The Logic Bomb by Scott Richard Lord – Goodreads
Logic Bomb – TV Tropes
Mobile secure gateway External links:
SeaCat Mobile Secure Gateway – TeskaLabs · Security
What is MOBILE SECURE GATEWAY? What does …
Neeco Mobile Secure Gateway | Global Alliance Neeco
Mobile security External links:
ADP Mobile Security
The Arlo Go Mobile Security Camera uses Verizon’s 4G LTE network to supply HD live streams or cloud-stored recordings.
McAfee Mobile Security – Official Site
Multi-factor authentication External links:
[PPT]Multi-Factor Authentication for Microsoft Office 365
University of Massachusetts Amherst * Boston * Dartmouth * Lowell * President’s Office * Worcester Multi-Factor Authentication User Registration Guide
http://azure-docs/multi-factor-authentication-sdk.md at …
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
National Information Assurance Glossary External links:
National Information Assurance Glossary – WOW.com
Network security External links:
Medicine Bow Technologies – Network Security Colorado
IANS – Institute for Applied Network Security
Penetration test External links:
penetration test – Answers – Salesforce Trailblazer …
[PDF]Standard Penetration Test Driller’s / Operator’s …
Standard Penetration Test – Geotechdata.info
Screen scrape External links:
web scraping – How do screen scrapers work? – Stack Overflow
http://Screen scraping is programming that translates between legacy application programs (written to communicate with now generally obsolete input/output devices and user interfaces) and new user interfaces so that the logic and data associated with the legacy programs can continue to be used.
c# – How do you Screen Scrape? – Stack Overflow
Secure coding External links:
Secure Coding Storing Secrets – developer.force.com
Secure Coding in C & C++ – SANS Information Security …
Secure Coding Guideline – developer.force.com
Security-focused operating system External links:
Security-focused operating system – WOW.com
Security-focused operating system – iSnare Free …
Security by design External links:
Security by Design – Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Security by Design – Detroit, MI – inc.com
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Trojan horse External links:
Trojan horse | Greek mythology | Britannica.com
Vulnerability assessment External links:
[PDF]Unit IV – Vulnerability Assessment