What is involved in Physical Security
Find out what the related areas are that Physical Security connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Physical Security thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Physical Security journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Physical Security leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Physical Security related domains to cover and 128 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Physical Security, Access control, Alarm management, Alarm systems, Artificial intelligence for video surveillance, Biometric device, Boundaries of Security Report, Closed-circuit television, Computer security, Crime prevention through environmental design, Door security, Executive protection, Glass break detector, Guard tour patrol system, Guard towers, Human rights, IP camera, Identification cards, Information security, Key management, Logical security, Motion sensors, Natural surveillance, Physical Security Professional, Protective barriers, Razor wire, Security alarm, Security alarms, Security engineering, Security guard, Security guards, Security lighting, Standoff distance, Video analytics:
Physical Security Critical Criteria:
Survey Physical Security adoptions and drive action.
– Are there multiple physical security controls (such as badges, escorts, or mantraps) in place that would prevent unauthorized individuals from gaining access to the facility?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Does your Cybersecurity plan contain both cyber and physical security components, or does your physical security plan identify critical cyber assets?
– Has Cybersecurity been identified in the physical security plans for the assets, reflecting planning for a blended cyber/physical attack?
– Secured Offices, Rooms and Facilities: Are physical security for offices, rooms and facilities designed and applied?
– What are our needs in relation to Physical Security skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Is the security product consistent with physical security and other policy requirements?
– Do the Physical Security decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Physical Security that make it risky?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Adapt Access control engagements and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Access control.
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access control: Are there appropriate access controls over PII when it is in the cloud?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– What is the direction of flow for which access control is required?
– Should we call it role based rule based access control, or rbrbac?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– What about Physical Security Analysis of results?
– Is a Physical Security Team Work effort in place?
– What is our role based access control?
– Who determines access controls?
Alarm management Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Alarm management leadership and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Physical Security product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Physical Security with what users do day-to-day?
Alarm systems Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Alarm systems governance and probe Alarm systems strategic alliances.
– What are current Physical Security Paradigms?
– What threat is Physical Security addressing?
Artificial intelligence for video surveillance Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Artificial intelligence for video surveillance governance and display thorough understanding of the Artificial intelligence for video surveillance process.
– How likely is the current Physical Security plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What are the short and long-term Physical Security goals?
Biometric device Critical Criteria:
Guide Biometric device strategies and perfect Biometric device conflict management.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Physical Security is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Physical Security strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Physical Security?
Boundaries of Security Report Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Boundaries of Security Report outcomes and oversee implementation of Boundaries of Security Report.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Physical Security strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What is Effective Physical Security?
Closed-circuit television Critical Criteria:
Detail Closed-circuit television strategies and pay attention to the small things.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Physical Security?
– Does Physical Security systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Physical Security activities?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Model after Computer security goals and do something to it.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Will Physical Security have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Physical Security leader?
– Is there any existing Physical Security governance structure?
Crime prevention through environmental design Critical Criteria:
Track Crime prevention through environmental design goals and point out Crime prevention through environmental design tensions in leadership.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Physical Security? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Are accountability and ownership for Physical Security clearly defined?
– How much does Physical Security help?
Door security Critical Criteria:
Match Door security projects and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Door security.
– What is the purpose of Physical Security in relation to the mission?
– What will drive Physical Security change?
– Do we have past Physical Security Successes?
Executive protection Critical Criteria:
Drive Executive protection failures and find out.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Physical Security project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How to Secure Physical Security?
Glass break detector Critical Criteria:
Generalize Glass break detector governance and probe Glass break detector strategic alliances.
– When a Physical Security manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What are the long-term Physical Security goals?
Guard tour patrol system Critical Criteria:
Face Guard tour patrol system tactics and mentor Guard tour patrol system customer orientation.
– Have you identified your Physical Security key performance indicators?
– Do we all define Physical Security in the same way?
Guard towers Critical Criteria:
Chat re Guard towers results and get out your magnifying glass.
– In the case of a Physical Security project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Physical Security project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Physical Security project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Physical Security process?
– Which customers cant participate in our Physical Security domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
Human rights Critical Criteria:
Talk about Human rights outcomes and create Human rights explanations for all managers.
– Does our organization need more Physical Security education?
– Who sets the Physical Security standards?
– Are there Physical Security problems defined?
IP camera Critical Criteria:
Discourse IP camera strategies and ask what if.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Physical Security goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Identification cards Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Identification cards quality and define what do we need to start doing with Identification cards.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Physical Security in a volatile global economy?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Physical Security project manager?
– Is Physical Security Required?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Information security adoptions and proactively manage Information security risks.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (indication of completeness of policies, Ico )?
– What information security and privacy standards or regulations apply to the cloud customers domain?
– Is information security ensured when using mobile computing and tele-working facilities?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Physical Security project?
– Ensure that the information security procedures support the business requirements?
– what is the difference between cyber security and information security?
– Does mgmt establish roles and responsibilities for information security?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– What is the main driver for information security expenditure?
– Conform to the identified information security requirements?
– Is information security managed within the organization?
Key management Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Key management goals and describe which business rules are needed as Key management interface.
– Another confidentiality consideration for encryption is key management. How are the encryption keys that are used going to be managed and by whom?
– Is the Physical Security organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How do we know that any Physical Security analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Logical security Critical Criteria:
Grade Logical security decisions and raise human resource and employment practices for Logical security.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Physical Security values?
– Does Physical Security analysis show the relationships among important Physical Security factors?
Motion sensors Critical Criteria:
Systematize Motion sensors failures and point out Motion sensors tensions in leadership.
– How will you know that the Physical Security project has been successful?
– How will you measure your Physical Security effectiveness?
– Are we Assessing Physical Security and Risk?
Natural surveillance Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Natural surveillance tactics and integrate design thinking in Natural surveillance innovation.
– Think about the functions involved in your Physical Security project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Does Physical Security create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Physical Security Professional Critical Criteria:
X-ray Physical Security Professional tasks and finalize specific methods for Physical Security Professional acceptance.
– Who will provide the final approval of Physical Security deliverables?
– How do we go about Securing Physical Security?
Protective barriers Critical Criteria:
Review Protective barriers adoptions and overcome Protective barriers skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Physical Security requirements in detail?
– Are assumptions made in Physical Security stated explicitly?
Razor wire Critical Criteria:
Detail Razor wire governance and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Razor wire.
– What business benefits will Physical Security goals deliver if achieved?
– Why is Physical Security important for you now?
Security alarm Critical Criteria:
Deduce Security alarm governance and figure out ways to motivate other Security alarm users.
– Think about the people you identified for your Physical Security project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do we manage Physical Security Knowledge Management (KM)?
Security alarms Critical Criteria:
Survey Security alarms goals and innovate what needs to be done with Security alarms.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Physical Security information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Physical Security strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How can the value of Physical Security be defined?
Security engineering Critical Criteria:
Reason over Security engineering decisions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Security engineering.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Physical Security project?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Physical Security activities?
– How can skill-level changes improve Physical Security?
Security guard Critical Criteria:
Steer Security guard projects and display thorough understanding of the Security guard process.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Physical Security process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Physical Security process available?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Physical Security?
Security guards Critical Criteria:
Think about Security guards results and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Security guards decisions.
– Is maximizing Physical Security protection the same as minimizing Physical Security loss?
Security lighting Critical Criteria:
Guide Security lighting engagements and get going.
– How is the value delivered by Physical Security being measured?
– Are there Physical Security Models?
Standoff distance Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Standoff distance quality and pioneer acquisition of Standoff distance systems.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Physical Security into the services that we provide?
– How important is Physical Security to the user organizations mission?
Video analytics Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Video analytics results and customize techniques for implementing Video analytics controls.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Physical Security delivery for example is new software needed?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Physical Security?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Physical Security Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Physical Security External links:
Physical Security | CTTSO
ADC LTD NM Leader In Personnel & Physical Security
Qognify: Big Data Solutions for Physical Security & …
Access control External links:
What is Access Control? – Definition from Techopedia
Linear Pro Access – Professional Access Control Systems
Sielox :: Access Control
Alarm management External links:
Summit County Alarm Management
InSite Alarm Management – Vector Security
Alarm Management Website – University of Utah
Alarm systems External links:
Froula Alarm Systems
ADT Home Security & Alarm Systems | SafeStreetsUSA
Home Security Systems | Business Alarm Systems | Bay Alarm
Artificial intelligence for video surveillance External links:
Mindolia | Artificial Intelligence for Video Surveillance
Biometric device External links:
Personal Biometric Device offers access to multiple facilities
Mini USB Fingerprint Reader | Biometric Device
[PDF]Handheld Wireless Biometric Device Request for …
Computer security External links:
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
GateKeeper – Computer Security Lock | Security for Laptops
Computer Security | Consumer Information
Crime prevention through environmental design External links:
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design | …
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design | …
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
Door security External links:
ASSA ABLOY Door Security Solutions :: Extranet
Door Security for Homes – DoorDevil
Executive protection External links:
Naples Security Solutions – Executive Protection – …
Executive Protection Training | TCCC course | GI BIll …
World leading Executive Protection Company – AS Solution
Glass break detector External links:
Honeywell 5853 – Wireless Glass Break Detector – Alarm Grid
Glass Break Detector – Louroe Electronics
Guard tour patrol system External links:
QR-Patrol | Real Time and Online Guard Tour Patrol System
tomst.com – Guard Tour Patrol System – TOMST
Guard towers External links:
Guard Towers!! • r/starveio – reddit
[PDF]PHALANX GTP 1 Series Portable Guard Towers
Human rights External links:
ohr | Office of Human Rights
National Center for Civil and Human Rights – Official Site
Human Rights First – Official Site
IP camera External links:
IP Camera Recording | Sensr.net: Watch Your Stuff!
AnyCam – Free IP camera software, MJPEG, MPEG-4, …
Identification cards External links:
BMV: Identification Cards – IN.gov
Maryland Identification Cards – MVA
Identification Cards – SCDMV
Information security External links:
Title & Settlement Information Security
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Key management External links:
[PDF]Key Management Personnel List (Sample)
Key Management – Title Guarantee
Contact Us | Building Key Management | HandyTrac
Logical security External links:
Shon Harris – Logical Security, Contributor – TechTarget
[PDF]Physical and Logical Security Standard Guidelines
Motion sensors External links:
12v motion sensors – Platt Electric Supply
Motion Sensors – eLights.com
Natural surveillance External links:
[PDF]Natural Surveillance Natural Access Control – …
Access Control, Natural Surveillance | Researchomatic
Natural Surveillance | CPTED | Pinterest | Urban design
Physical Security Professional External links:
[PDF]Sample Test Physical Security Professional …
PSP Physical Security Professional (PSP) Exam Training
Physical Security Professional Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Protective barriers External links:
751.12 Protective Barriers – Engineering Policy Guide
Razor wire External links:
TCI – Metal – Miscellaneous – Razor Wire
Fence Screening | Razor Wire Fencing
Security engineering External links:
Security guard External links:
Security Guards :: Job Description
Security Guard Job Description | Americas Job Exchange
Title Security Guard Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Security guards External links:
Chapter 18.170 RCW: SECURITY GUARDS
Security Services – Security Guards – Security Jobs
Security Guards, United States, Strategic Security
Security lighting External links:
Outdoor Security Lighting | Outdoor Sensor Lights by ADT
Dusk to Dawn LED Lights | Outdoor Security Lighting
Smart Security Lighting | BeON Home
Video analytics External links:
Vision Logic – Video Analytics
Video Analytics & Cross Platform Intelligence | Vidooly
CrowdVision – Automated people tracking using video analytics