What is involved in IT Service Management
Find out what the related areas are that IT Service Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IT Service Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Service Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Service Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IT Service Management related domains to cover and 149 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IT Service Management, Axios Systems, Business Process Framework, Business process, Capability Maturity Model Integration, Configuration management database, Continual improvement process, Functional requirement, ISO/IEC 20000, ISO/IEC 27000, ISO 9000, IT Service Management Forum, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information security management, Information technology, Marval Software, Microsoft Operations Framework, Network and Service Management Taxonomy, Network management, Quality management, Service desk, Software engineering, Systems management, United Kingdom, Workflow management system:
IT Service Management Critical Criteria:
Look at IT Service Management risks and get the big picture.
– So you have designed a great process, have invested in a slick itsm tool and paid your consultants for the best advice you could purchase. What makes you think anyone is actually going to follow the new processes after you close up the project and take down the posters?
– If SLAs are already negotiated and reference the Catalogue for documentation of the service levels, how do you change service level in the Catalogue without renegotiating the SLA?
– Have you deployed, or are you looking to deploy, any application discovery and dependency mapping (ADDM) solutions?
– What are the key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– Which statement best describes your organizations current IT service management strategy?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on itil principles?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– Can the cloud service provider make available an endto-end continuity plan?
– What factors influence the success of implementing it service management?
– Why would a customer be interested in a particular product or service?
– What metrics will be provided and are they relevant?
– How does this service support business activities?
– What does a disaster recovery plan look like?
– What is the future of it Service Management?
– How do we maintain IT Service Managements Integrity?
– What is A good cloud service provider?
– What is the scope of certification?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– Does IT get our business?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
Axios Systems Critical Criteria:
Investigate Axios Systems tasks and define what our big hairy audacious Axios Systems goal is.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom IT Service Management project?
– Do IT Service Management rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Which IT Service Management goals are the most important?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Study Business Process Framework engagements and correct better engagement with Business Process Framework results.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of IT Service Management?
– What are the Key enablers to make this IT Service Management move?
– How do we manage IT Service Management Knowledge Management (KM)?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Business process goals and devise Business process key steps.
– Have the segments, goals and performance objectives been translated into an actionable and realistic target business and information architecture expressed within business functions, business processes, and information requirements?
– Have senior executives clearly identified and explained concerns regarding Customer Service issues and other change drivers, and emphasized that major improvements are imperative?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect IT Service Management workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– What are the disruptive IT Service Management technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– If we accept wire transfers what is the desired business process around supporting wire transfers?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– What are the relationships with other business processes and are these necessary?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How to deal with IT Service Management Changes?
Capability Maturity Model Integration Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Capability Maturity Model Integration goals and revise understanding of Capability Maturity Model Integration architectures.
– To what extent does management recognize IT Service Management as a tool to increase the results?
– How do we measure improved IT Service Management service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is there any existing IT Service Management governance structure?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Recall Configuration management database quality and improve Configuration management database service perception.
– Monitoring tools for wired networks do not provide the full array of features necessary for monitoring wlans. true or false?
– What is the main difference between a cmdb (Configuration Management database) and a typical asset register?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our IT Service Management agendas for the next 3 years?
– Application sizing is a technique used by capacity management. why is application sizing important?
– The words delta, full and package describe different types of release. Which ones do we use when?
– Which processes other than incident management are involved in achieving a structural solution ?
– What information does Configuration Management provide to the it management of an organization?
– What elements are to be tracked and reported for baselines and changes?
– If the change does involve a usq, has it been approved by doe?
– What are valid performance indicators for the service desk?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– Where do we stand currently against the standards?
– Motivation: why software Configuration Management?
– Do the benefits of the change warrant the costs?
– Why is sacm so hard to implement and organize?
– How do I find the information that I need?
– Are all other required reviews complete?
– How to make it easier to sell?
– Implemented as proposed?
– Is this right for us?
Continual improvement process Critical Criteria:
Check Continual improvement process tasks and give examples utilizing a core of simple Continual improvement process skills.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your IT Service Management strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Do those selected for the IT Service Management team have a good general understanding of what IT Service Management is all about?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether IT Service Management goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Functional requirement Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Functional requirement failures and separate what are the business goals Functional requirement is aiming to achieve.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the IT Service Management process?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What is our IT Service Management Strategy?
– Are there IT Service Management Models?
ISO/IEC 20000 Critical Criteria:
Guard ISO/IEC 20000 risks and test out new things.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which IT Service Management models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of IT Service Management moving forward?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– How do we keep improving IT Service Management?
ISO/IEC 27000 Critical Criteria:
Map ISO/IEC 27000 governance and define what do we need to start doing with ISO/IEC 27000.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding IT Service Management?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a IT Service Management strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What are the Essentials of Internal IT Service Management Management?
ISO 9000 Critical Criteria:
Detail ISO 9000 governance and achieve a single ISO 9000 view and bringing data together.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– How do we Improve IT Service Management service perception, and satisfaction?
– Does our organization need more IT Service Management education?
IT Service Management Forum Critical Criteria:
Recall IT Service Management Forum tactics and attract IT Service Management Forum skills.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the IT Service Management process?
– Who will provide the final approval of IT Service Management deliverables?
– What are the short and long-term IT Service Management goals?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Discourse Information Technology Infrastructure Library issues and differentiate in coordinating Information Technology Infrastructure Library.
– Among the IT Service Management product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good IT Service Management project manager?
– What is Effective IT Service Management?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Information security management risks and point out Information security management tensions in leadership.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Information technology decisions and improve Information technology service perception.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for IT Service Management strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– What threat is IT Service Management addressing?
Marval Software Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Marval Software projects and overcome Marval Software skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What is the source of the strategies for IT Service Management strengthening and reform?
– What vendors make products that address the IT Service Management needs?
– Why are IT Service Management skills important?
Microsoft Operations Framework Critical Criteria:
Canvass Microsoft Operations Framework goals and summarize a clear Microsoft Operations Framework focus.
– What potential environmental factors impact the IT Service Management effort?
– Do we have past IT Service Management Successes?
Network and Service Management Taxonomy Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Network and Service Management Taxonomy decisions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of IT Service Management activities?
– How can the value of IT Service Management be defined?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Investigate Network management failures and oversee Network management requirements.
– How do your measurements capture actionable IT Service Management information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are internal and external IT Service Management relations?
Quality management Critical Criteria:
Mix Quality management results and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Quality management projects.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to IT Service Management? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its IT Service Management processes?
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
Service desk Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Service desk leadership and acquire concise Service desk education.
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about IT Service Management. How do we gain traction?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on ITIL principles?
– Are you running your service desk or is your service desk running you?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Are You Running Your Service Desk or is Your Service Desk Running You?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Software engineering visions and ask what if.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Think about the people you identified for your IT Service Management project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– How is the value delivered by IT Service Management being measured?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems management Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Systems management tactics and adjust implementation of Systems management.
– What about IT Service Management Analysis of results?
United Kingdom Critical Criteria:
Adapt United Kingdom risks and catalog what business benefits will United Kingdom goals deliver if achieved.
– Does IT Service Management systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving IT Service Management forward?
– How much does IT Service Management help?
Workflow management system Critical Criteria:
X-ray Workflow management system results and raise human resource and employment practices for Workflow management system.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your IT Service Management project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Service Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IT Service Management External links:
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
ITIL | IT Service Management | ITSM | AXELOS
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
Axios Systems External links:
Axios Systems – Home | Facebook
Axios Systems (@assystNET) | Twitter
Axios Systems – Google+
Business Process Framework External links:
Product Documentation for Business Process Framework
Business Process Framework (eTOM) – TM Forum
BUSINESS PROCESS FRAMEWORK – Bank of America …
Business process External links:
[PDF]Business Process Guide Position Management : …
Business Process Management Jobs – CareerBuilder
20 Best Title:(business Process Manager) jobs (Hiring …
Capability Maturity Model Integration External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Functional requirement External links:
[DOC]Functional Requirements Document – Maryland
What is functional and non functional requirement? – …
What is functional and non functional requirement?
ISO/IEC 20000 External links:
ISO/IEC 20000 Certification | APMG-International
ISO/IEC 20000. (eBook, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
http://ISO/IEC 20000 is the first international standard for IT service management. It was developed in 2005, by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 and revised in 2011. It is based on and intended to supersede the earlier BS 15000 that was developed by BSI Group.
ISO/IEC 27000 External links:
ISO/IEC 27000 legal definition of ISO/IEC 27000
ISO/IEC 27000 glossary standard – iso27001security.com
ISO 9000 External links:
How to Become ISO 9000 Certified | Chron.com
Benefits of ISO 9000 – Perry Johnson Registrars, Inc.
What Is Non-Conformance for ISO 9000? | Chron.com
IT Service Management Forum External links:
IT Service Management Forum – Yell.com
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Infrastructure Library – ITIL®
Information security management External links:
Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 – NIST
Information Security Management – Home2
Information Security Management Provider – Sedara
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Umail | University Information Technology Services
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Marval Software External links:
Marval Software – Home | Facebook
Marval Software · GitHub
[PDF]Marval Software Ltd. for Incident Management – The …
Microsoft Operations Framework External links:
What is Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF)? – …
Microsoft Operations Framework by Felix Müller on Prezi
Exin MOFF.EN Microsoft Operations Framework …
Network and Service Management Taxonomy External links:
Network and service management taxonomy – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Network and service management taxonomy
Network and Service Management Taxonomy – Simpleweb
Network management External links:
Network Management Card (NMC) Password Reset …
OSPINSIGHT – Fiber Optic Network Management
Remote Network Management | Legrand
Quality management External links:
abaqis® | Quality Management System
Quality Management – Quality Management – Dashboard
Service desk External links:
CA Service Desk Manager – Login
Unicenter Service Desk – Login
Service Desk Home – fmPilot
Software engineering External links:
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Software Engineering Institute
Systems management External links:
Geographic Information Systems Management Office – …
Welcome to the Mail Systems Management Association
– Operation Processes and Systems Management …
United Kingdom External links:
Apple Store UK – Apple (United Kingdom)
Furniture & Home Furnishings | IKEA United Kingdom
Calendar for Year 2017 (United Kingdom) – Time and Date
Workflow management system External links:
Document Management & Workflow Management System …
eSchoolView Workflow Management System
Workflow Management System | Issuetrak