What is involved in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
Find out what the related areas are that Virtual Desktop Infrastructure connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Virtual Desktop Infrastructure journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Virtual Desktop Infrastructure leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Virtual Desktop Infrastructure related domains to cover and 111 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, Desktop virtualization, Apple–Intel architecture, Application software, Application virtualization, Citrix XenApp, Cloud computing, Data as a service, Desktop environment, Hardware virtualization, Microsoft App-V, Microsoft Windows, Oracle Corporation, Parallels Desktop for Mac, Public Cloud, Remote Desktop Protocol, Remote Desktop Services, Software as a service, Tablet computer, Thin client, VMware Fusion, VMware Horizon View, VMware ThinApp, Virtual PC:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Understand Virtual Desktop Infrastructure governance and observe effective Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– And once again, the same issues are being raised: how does the agency reduce support costs for operational applications that are accessed from personal devices?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Which component(s) of a cloud infrastructure framework helps automating the creation and delivery of computing resources to the consumers?
– Which type of expense is most likely to increase as an organization increases the consumption of cloud resources from a service provider?
– Are users of data instructed to avoid email messaging for transfer and use encrypted johns hopkins file sharing services instead?
– Is the server registered in the it@jh tenable/nessus scanning tool for scans to be administered at least once per quarter?
– Which type of attack could enable the installation of a rogue hypervisor and take control of underlying server resources?
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– What are our needs in relation to Virtual Desktop Infrastructure skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Which fibre channel (fc) port type would only be used to connect an fc switch to another switch?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– Data managed by trained staff familiar with hopkins it standards and practices?
– Which cloud service model encompasses the complete cloud computing stack?
– What is explored during the proof of concept phase for cloud adoption?
– What about security and compliance in a hosted vdi environment?
– Which statement is true about vm-to-vm affinity?
– What is a benefit of data striping in raid?
– Which migration strategy is recommended?
Desktop virtualization Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Desktop virtualization results and describe the risks of Desktop virtualization sustainability.
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– Do we monitor the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Have all basic functions of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure been defined?
Apple–Intel architecture Critical Criteria:
Categorize Apple–Intel architecture visions and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Think about the functions involved in your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are the barriers to increased Virtual Desktop Infrastructure production?
– Do we all define Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in the same way?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Application software engagements and point out improvements in Application software.
– Consider your own Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– What business benefits will Virtual Desktop Infrastructure goals deliver if achieved?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– What are our Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Processes?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Audit Application virtualization governance and report on setting up Application virtualization without losing ground.
– What vendors make products that address the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure needs?
– Do Virtual Desktop Infrastructure rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
– What are specific Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Rules to follow?
Citrix XenApp Critical Criteria:
Study Citrix XenApp management and oversee implementation of Citrix XenApp.
– Does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– How do your measurements capture actionable Virtual Desktop Infrastructure information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Virtual Desktop Infrastructure forward?
– What about disaster recovery?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Pilot Cloud computing tasks and explore and align the progress in Cloud computing.
– It is clear that the CSP will face a large number of requests from its customers to prove that the CSP is secure and reliable. There a number of audit and compliance considerations for both the CSP and the customer to consider in cloud computing. First, which compliance framework should a CSP adopt to satisfy its customers and manage its own risks?
– What changes should be made to the design of future applications software, infrastructure software, and hardware to match the needs and opportunities of cloud computing?
– How will you exercise control over the data within the cloud to ensure that the data are available and that confidentiality and integrity of the data remain protected?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– What are some common barriers to exiting transitioning from a cloud computing service provider and how can they be addressed?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– How can a small cloud computing consultancy take advantage of the Federal Cloud Computing Strategy?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure moving forward?
– Will Cloud Computing replace traditional dedicated server hosting?
– What are the challenges related to cloud computing data security?
– When is utility computing preferable to running a private cloud?
– If your data is stored abroad whose foi policy do you adhere to?
– How can we best leverage cloud computing and obtain security?
– Will cloud computing lead to a reduction in it expenditure?
– What defines a true cloud solution versus the quasi cloud?
– Fog computing : will it be the future of cloud computing ?
– Is cloud computing affecting traditional hardware vendors?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– Fedramp approved/compliant?
Data as a service Critical Criteria:
Review Data as a service decisions and transcribe Data as a service as tomorrows backbone for success.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Desktop environment Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Desktop environment issues and gather practices for scaling Desktop environment.
– How do we go about Comparing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure approaches/solutions?
– How do we go about Securing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Discuss Hardware virtualization tactics and get the big picture.
– What are the disruptive Virtual Desktop Infrastructure technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure study?
– How will you measure your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure effectiveness?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Microsoft App-V failures and find out.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Management?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Chart Microsoft Windows decisions and explore and align the progress in Microsoft Windows.
– What is the source of the strategies for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure strengthening and reform?
– Does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– How can skill-level changes improve Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
Oracle Corporation Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Oracle Corporation leadership and innovate what needs to be done with Oracle Corporation.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Virtual Desktop Infrastructure leader?
– What will drive Virtual Desktop Infrastructure change?
Parallels Desktop for Mac Critical Criteria:
Derive from Parallels Desktop for Mac issues and develop and take control of the Parallels Desktop for Mac initiative.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Virtual Desktop Infrastructure services/products?
Public Cloud Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Public Cloud issues and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Public Cloud information.
– Is maximizing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure protection the same as minimizing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure loss?
– Which applications are best suited for the internal data center, and which ones make sense for the public cloud?
– In the case of public clouds, will the hosting service provider meet their regulatory compliance requirements?
– Do I establish a private (or community) cloud as a staging platform as we learn more about public clouds?
– How will the switch happen to public cloud when the private cloud infrastructure gets mixed out?
– Who will provide the final approval of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure deliverables?
– Is the public cloud more secure?
Remote Desktop Protocol Critical Criteria:
X-ray Remote Desktop Protocol management and tour deciding if Remote Desktop Protocol progress is made.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Virtual Desktop Infrastructure? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Is there a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Who sets the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure standards?
Remote Desktop Services Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Remote Desktop Services quality and forecast involvement of future Remote Desktop Services projects in development.
– Can we do Virtual Desktop Infrastructure without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Which statement is true about remote desktop services (rds)?
– Who needs to know about Virtual Desktop Infrastructure ?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Software as a service tactics and explain and analyze the challenges of Software as a service.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is underway?
– Does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure analysis show the relationships among important Virtual Desktop Infrastructure factors?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
Tablet computer Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Tablet computer governance and shift your focus.
– What are the key elements of your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Thin client Critical Criteria:
Guide Thin client goals and assess and formulate effective operational and Thin client strategies.
– What is the purpose of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in relation to the mission?
– Are we Assessing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure and Risk?
VMware Fusion Critical Criteria:
Examine VMware Fusion governance and oversee VMware Fusion management by competencies.
– Among the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure effort?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over VMware Horizon View outcomes and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging VMware Horizon View.
– How can you measure Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in a systematic way?
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Substantiate VMware ThinApp governance and question.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure processes of our organization?
– When a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Virtual PC Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Virtual PC governance and define Virtual PC competency-based leadership.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Virtual Desktop Infrastructure processes?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project manager?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure External links:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Appliance – Citrix
Best Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Software in …
Desktop virtualization External links:
Application and Desktop Virtualization – Citrix
MED-V – Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | TechNet
Application software External links:
Ch. 3 Application Software Flashcards | Quizlet
Application software – ScienceDaily
Title application software Free Download for Windows
Application virtualization External links:
Hotfix Package 1 for Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.1
Citrix XenApp External links:
tsportal.net – Citrix XenApp – Client Detection
Citrix Xenapp – Free downloads and reviews – CNET Download.com
[PDF]Citrix XenApp Installation Instructions – DTSA
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Data as a service External links:
DaaS: Contact Informatica Data as a Service
Desktop environment External links:
Lumina Desktop Environment | Exploring and sharing …
Hardware virtualization External links:
How to Enable Hardware Virtualization – MEmu App Player
Microsoft App-V External links:
Create & Publish a Virtual App with Microsoft App-V – YouTube
Microsoft App-V – Virtual Applications | TechNet
Microsoft Windows External links:
Changing Microsoft Windows and Office Product Keys
Apps | Microsoft Windows 10 | Official Site
Oracle Corporation External links:
Oracle Corporation – ORCL – Stock Price Today – Zacks
ORCL Key Statistics | Oracle Corporation Stock – Yahoo
Oracle Corporation (ORCL) Pre-Market Trading – NASDAQ.com
Parallels Desktop for Mac External links:
Download Parallels Desktop for Mac for only $39.99 | …
Public Cloud External links:
[PDF]Guidelines on security and privacy in public cloud …
Comparing the Top Public Cloud Providers – Datamation
Public Cloud Convenience, Private Cloud Control
Remote Desktop Protocol External links:
What is Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)? – Definition …
Remote Desktop Protocol (Windows) – msdn.microsoft.com
Remote Desktop Services External links:
Download Microsoft Remote Desktop Services …
Software as a service External links:
Software As A Service – SaaS – Investopedia
Enterprise Gamification Software as a Service Platform
What is Software as a Service (SaaS) – Salesforce.com
Tablet computer External links:
Touchscreen Tablet Computer for Seniors
Samsung Galaxy Book: Windows Tablet Computer | …
Thin client External links:
Zero Client and Thin Client Computers | Samsung Business
HP Thin Client software and OS | HP® Official Site
HP Thin Client Software downloads | HP® Official Site
VMware Fusion External links:
VMware Fusion – Official Site
VMware Workstation | VMware Fusion
VMware Horizon View External links:
VMware Horizon View
Load Balancing for VMware Horizon View (2146312)
VMware Horizon View – New York
VMware ThinApp External links:
VMware ThinApp 5 Documentation Center
NDM | VMware ThinApp Price | shop
VMware ThinApp Documentation
Virtual PC External links:
With Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, you can create and run one or more virtual machines, each with its own operating system, on a single computer.
Virtual PC and Virtual Applications | NVIDIA GRID
Virtual PC | Division of Information Technology