What is involved in Heterogeneous computing
Find out what the related areas are that Heterogeneous computing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Heterogeneous computing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Heterogeneous computing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Heterogeneous computing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Heterogeneous computing related domains to cover and 105 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Heterogeneous computing, ARM big.LITTLE, Analog Devices, Apple Inc., Apple system on a chip, Application binary interface, Application programming interface, Cache coherency, Calling convention, Conventional PCI, Cray XD1, Direct memory access, Electrical efficiency, Emotion Engine, Fixed function units, Floating point, Function pointer, Hardware acceleration, Heterogeneous System Architecture, Instruction set, Instruction set architecture, Integrated circuit, Memory controller, Memory hierarchy, Movidius Myriad 2, Multi-core processor, Non-uniform memory access, PlayStation 2, SRC Computers, Scratchpad memory, Symmetric multiprocessor, System on a chip, Texas Instruments, Vision processing unit:
Heterogeneous computing Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Heterogeneous computing strategies and revise understanding of Heterogeneous computing architectures.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Heterogeneous computing values?
– Which Heterogeneous computing goals are the most important?
– Are there Heterogeneous computing problems defined?
ARM big.LITTLE Critical Criteria:
Analyze ARM big.LITTLE leadership and test out new things.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Heterogeneous computing strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– How do we know that any Heterogeneous computing analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How will you know that the Heterogeneous computing project has been successful?
Analog Devices Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Analog Devices issues and cater for concise Analog Devices education.
– Are accountability and ownership for Heterogeneous computing clearly defined?
– How would one define Heterogeneous computing leadership?
Apple Inc. Critical Criteria:
Audit Apple Inc. failures and transcribe Apple Inc. as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Heterogeneous computing product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Heterogeneous computing goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Apple system on a chip Critical Criteria:
Mine Apple system on a chip planning and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Apple system on a chip.
– Does Heterogeneous computing systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What are the barriers to increased Heterogeneous computing production?
– Is a Heterogeneous computing Team Work effort in place?
Application binary interface Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Application binary interface projects and probe Application binary interface strategic alliances.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Heterogeneous computing project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Heterogeneous computing project lifecycle?
– How can you negotiate Heterogeneous computing successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How do we Improve Heterogeneous computing service perception, and satisfaction?
Application programming interface Critical Criteria:
Apply Application programming interface issues and ask what if.
– How can we improve Heterogeneous computing?
Cache coherency Critical Criteria:
Guard Cache coherency adoptions and plan concise Cache coherency education.
– What is the purpose of Heterogeneous computing in relation to the mission?
Calling convention Critical Criteria:
Shape Calling convention quality and observe effective Calling convention.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Heterogeneous computing requirements in detail?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Heterogeneous computing?
– Can we do Heterogeneous computing without complex (expensive) analysis?
Conventional PCI Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Conventional PCI governance and acquire concise Conventional PCI education.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Heterogeneous computing products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Heterogeneous computing forward?
Cray XD1 Critical Criteria:
X-ray Cray XD1 goals and slay a dragon.
– How to deal with Heterogeneous computing Changes?
– Is the scope of Heterogeneous computing defined?
Direct memory access Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Direct memory access results and oversee Direct memory access management by competencies.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Heterogeneous computing strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Heterogeneous computing?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Heterogeneous computing that make it risky?
Electrical efficiency Critical Criteria:
Adapt Electrical efficiency strategies and slay a dragon.
– Who will provide the final approval of Heterogeneous computing deliverables?
– Who sets the Heterogeneous computing standards?
Emotion Engine Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Emotion Engine strategies and check on ways to get started with Emotion Engine.
– What are internal and external Heterogeneous computing relations?
– Is Heterogeneous computing Required?
Fixed function units Critical Criteria:
Mix Fixed function units engagements and perfect Fixed function units conflict management.
– Have all basic functions of Heterogeneous computing been defined?
– Why should we adopt a Heterogeneous computing framework?
Floating point Critical Criteria:
Boost Floating point adoptions and revise understanding of Floating point architectures.
– Can we add value to the current Heterogeneous computing decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
Function pointer Critical Criteria:
Learn from Function pointer planning and point out improvements in Function pointer.
– For your Heterogeneous computing project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What about Heterogeneous computing Analysis of results?
Hardware acceleration Critical Criteria:
Drive Hardware acceleration adoptions and devote time assessing Hardware acceleration and its risk.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Heterogeneous computing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Heterogeneous computing?
Heterogeneous System Architecture Critical Criteria:
Steer Heterogeneous System Architecture projects and finalize the present value of growth of Heterogeneous System Architecture.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Heterogeneous computing information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– In what ways are Heterogeneous computing vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What are the long-term Heterogeneous computing goals?
Instruction set Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Instruction set strategies and separate what are the business goals Instruction set is aiming to achieve.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Heterogeneous computing workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Does Heterogeneous computing analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Are there recognized Heterogeneous computing problems?
Instruction set architecture Critical Criteria:
Meet over Instruction set architecture risks and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Instruction set architecture.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Heterogeneous computing? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What is Effective Heterogeneous computing?
Integrated circuit Critical Criteria:
Chart Integrated circuit projects and acquire concise Integrated circuit education.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Heterogeneous computing does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Memory controller Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Memory controller decisions and define what do we need to start doing with Memory controller.
Memory hierarchy Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Memory hierarchy management and explain and analyze the challenges of Memory hierarchy.
– How do we measure improved Heterogeneous computing service perception, and satisfaction?
Movidius Myriad 2 Critical Criteria:
Chart Movidius Myriad 2 engagements and differentiate in coordinating Movidius Myriad 2.
– Why are Heterogeneous computing skills important?
Multi-core processor Critical Criteria:
Track Multi-core processor management and check on ways to get started with Multi-core processor.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Heterogeneous computing with what users do day-to-day?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Heterogeneous computing project manager?
– Are assumptions made in Heterogeneous computing stated explicitly?
Non-uniform memory access Critical Criteria:
Use past Non-uniform memory access goals and correct Non-uniform memory access management by competencies.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Heterogeneous computing into the services that we provide?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Heterogeneous computing activities?
PlayStation 2 Critical Criteria:
Grade PlayStation 2 risks and get out your magnifying glass.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Heterogeneous computing models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Is Heterogeneous computing dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
SRC Computers Critical Criteria:
Test SRC Computers issues and oversee SRC Computers requirements.
– To what extent does management recognize Heterogeneous computing as a tool to increase the results?
Scratchpad memory Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Scratchpad memory quality and look for lots of ideas.
– What is the source of the strategies for Heterogeneous computing strengthening and reform?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Heterogeneous computing opportunities costing us money?
Symmetric multiprocessor Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Symmetric multiprocessor quality and get answers.
System on a chip Critical Criteria:
Derive from System on a chip goals and get going.
– There are many ways of defining coverage: for instance do we have to know the reachable state space before defining the state space coverage, or can we use all possible states as the denominator in the fraction?
– To compute quickly and halt we need a higher frequency clock but consume the same number of active cycles. So the work-rate product, af, unchanged, so no power difference ?
– Since cycles now take a variable time to complete we need acknowledge signals for each request and each operation (not shown). How long to hold bus before re-arbitration ?
– CAD and Design Tools for On-Chip Networks: What CAD tools are needed to design on-chip networks and to design systems using on-chip networks?
– Another common question that needs checking is sequential equivalence. Do a pair of designs follow the same state trajectory ?
– How can we reduce the size of these data without loss of, or at least being able to control, the level of quality?
– Consider adjusting the clock frequency (while keeping VCC constant for now). What does this achieve?
– If a pair of circuits are combined, do they share a common clock or take it in turns to move?
– Can we automatically create RTL glue logic from port specifications ?
– Do we want to model every contention point and queuing detail ?
– What are the usability implications of Heterogeneous computing actions?
– Optimising schedules in terms of memory port and ALU uses ?
– What about asserting a requirement of data conservation ?
– How small can we go: what is the silicon end point ?
– Main poblem: how large an FPGA to start with?
– When Will Dick Tracy s Watch Be Available?
– How Does SOI Reduce Capacitance ?
– How many bits of PC are needed ?
– When) Will FPGAs Kill ASICs?
– Deadlock may be missed ?
Texas Instruments Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Texas Instruments planning and test out new things.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Heterogeneous computing is underway?
Vision processing unit Critical Criteria:
Rank Vision processing unit risks and oversee Vision processing unit management by competencies.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Heterogeneous computing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
ARM big.LITTLE External links:
ARM big.LITTLE – Android Authority
Linux kernel 3.10 arrives with ARM big.LITTLE support
ARM big.LITTLE Technology Explained – YouTube
Analog Devices External links:
Analog Devices (ADI) Up 2.3% Since Earnings Report: Can …
Analog Devices – ADI – Stock Price & News | The Motley Fool
Analog Devices, Inc. – ADI – Stock Price Today – Zacks
Apple Inc. External links:
Apple Inc. (AAPL) Pre-Market Trading – NASDAQ.com
Apple Inc. (AAPL) After Hours Trading – NASDAQ.com
Apple Inc.: NASDAQ:AAPL quotes & news – Google Finance
Application binary interface External links:
[PDF]Application Binary Interface for the ARM Architecture
Application programming interface External links:
BEA Data Application Programming Interface (API)
Cache coherency External links:
[PDF]Cache Coherency in Multiprocessor Systems MESI …
Calling convention External links:
Bad DLL calling convention (Error 49) – msdn.microsoft.com
Calling Convention – Central Connecticut State University
Calling Convention | Microsoft Docs
Conventional PCI External links:
Conventional PCI | Bulldog Reporter
Direct memory access External links:
Direct Memory Access Abstraction MDD Functions …
Direct Memory Access – DMA (simplified) – YouTube
Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) and Switch …
Electrical efficiency External links:
ARPA-E | Electrical Efficiency
Electrical Efficiency Calculators | HSB
Emotion Engine External links:
Ridge Racer V: Emotion Engine – GTPlanet
Font Freak, Emotion Engine – by Neale Davidson
Emotion Engine – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
Floating point External links:
Base Convert: the simple floating point base calculator
Function pointer External links:
What is a Function Pointer in C and C++? – Quora
http://A function pointer (or subroutine pointer or procedure pointer) is a type of pointer supported by third-generation programming languages (such as PL/I, COBOL, Fortran, dBASE dBL, and C) and object-oriented programming languages (such as C++ and D).
C++ function pointer as parameter – Stack Overflow
Hardware acceleration External links:
How to Enable or Disable Hardware Acceleration in …
OpenGL hardware acceleration is unavailable for …
How To Turn Hardware Acceleration On and Off Within …
Heterogeneous System Architecture External links:
Heterogeneous System Architecture – ScienceDirect
Instruction set External links:
RISC-V Foundation | Instruction Set Architecture (ISA)
Instruction set architecture External links:
RISC-V Foundation | Instruction Set Architecture (ISA)
[PDF]Chapter 5, The Instruction Set Architecture Level
Integrated circuit External links:
[PDF]Integrated Circuit Basics – Cleveland Institute of …
integrated circuit – Everything2.com
Integrated Circuits – Engineering and Technology History …
Memory controller External links:
S/Labs HyperBus Memory Controller (HBMC) IP
Hyperstone – Flash Memory Controller
Memory hierarchy External links:
Quiz Memory Hierarchy Flashcards | Quizlet
[PDF]Trans. on Computers: Memory Hierarchy …
Movidius Myriad 2 External links:
FLIR Boson Thermal Core with Movidius Myriad 2 – YouTube
Non-uniform memory access External links:
[PDF]Non-uniform memory access (NUMA) – cc.gatech.edu
Non-uniform memory access – YouTube
Non-Uniform Memory Access (NUMA): Overview – Petri
PlayStation 2 External links:
Amazon.com: PlayStation 2: Video Games: Games, …
Playstation 2 For Sale, Buy PS2 Cheap – DKOldies
www.amazon.com › … › PlayStation 2 › Games
SRC Computers External links:
srccomp.com – SRC Computers
Src Computers Company Profile | Owler
System on a chip External links:
Texas Instruments External links:
TI Analog, DSP and Semiconductor Products – Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated: NASDAQ:TXN quotes …
Texas Instruments Perks at Work
Vision processing unit External links:
Movidius Vision Processing Unit Enters 2nd Generation | …
Vision Processing Unit | Machine Vision Technology | …